The little voice inside your head. The undefinable “I don’t know why, but it feels right”. Everyone has intuition, and when you listen to it you will be baffled by what you already know deep inside.
In the last couple of years, listening to your feelings is no longer something “vague” that is not supported by arguments. On the other hand, intuition is increasingly seen as a source of useful information and an indispensable addition to your rational thinking, also by scientists and sober thinkers.
So, What Is Intuition?
Intuition is a source of knowledge, that has little to do with predicting the future, but has to do with the way you save and process information in your brain. Simply said, intuition is the way your subconscious passes on messages to your conscious, thinking "I". That subconscious is a part of your brain that saves about everything you perceive: what you feel, hear, taste, dream, your memories, stories, and experiences from the past. Your subconscious filters, weights, combines, and compares.
Your Intuition’s Language
It ensures you know so much – and at the same time, you don’t know so much. For your subconscious only has one channel to pass on information to your conscious self: using your intuition. The treasure of information in your subconscious is often not wrapped in words. This is the reason messages are often received through unexpected, indirect ways. Your intuition lets you know things trough a feeling in your belly, a tingling sensation, a spontaneous hunch while you are busy with something else completely.
Find Your Inner Guide
In recent years there have been many interesting studies concerning intuition and how it works. It shows that decisions made intuitively work out just as well, or even better than decisions about which you have listed all the pros and cons. The most important advice if you want to trust your intuition more is: pause your conscious thinking for a while. Take in as much information as you can, tackle the complicated problem, and then do something else. Sleep on it. Go for a walk, garden, paint.
Do You Always Have To Do What Your Gut Feeling Tells You To Do?
No, that’s not the case. Because your intuition weights in everything – also the things you van rationally say they are not relevant anymore, like negative experiences from the past and unrealistic fears. Like a feeling that a product is good, is subconsciously influenced by commercials and the opinion of others. You can also have a little voice inside your head which makes you insecure. Do you have to keep listening to it? No, of course not. We don’t have our ratio and intuition for nothing. Ideally, they keep each other beautifully balanced. But in our Western world, the emphasis has been on rationality and logic for such a long time, we can say: if you feel like your intuition could do more, then it is probably wise to do so.
You do not always have to know why you make a decision. Concerning matters of the head and heart, a simple answer will do: because it makes you happy.
Here Are 7 Tips To Strengthen Your Intuition
1. Take thoughts that suddenly come to you seriously. Remember them or write them down, so you can think about it calmly or reflect on them.
2. The rule of thumb “sleeping on it” really works. Go through all information when dealing with a complicated problem, write down all your considerations and go to sleep – next morning make the decision that feels best for you.
3. Ask your subconscious a question and go do something else – meditate, garden, make music, work out, take a warm bath, whatever – and see what comes to mind.
4. Be attentive to all signs and symbols from your surroundings. What do you notice, what catches your attention, and what does this say about you and what you are dealing with?
5. Feed your subconscious: use your senses, read stories, listen to music, paint, craft, make music, make a collage with clippings from magazines. Dream. Daydream. Fantasize, give your fantasies free reign. And see what comes from your hands spontaneously.
6. Dare to be alone and make your own decisions. Your intuition is a personal, fitted compass, take time and space to listen and have the courage to handle accordingly.
7. Take a time-out when you have to make an important decision to let your subconscious do its job. Now and then check: what are your feelings about this, and where do they stem from?